Last night, I dreamt I went to Manderlay again.
昨晚,我梦见自己又回到了曼德利庄园
It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive,
恍惚中,我站在那扇通往车道的大铁门前
And for a while, I could not enter, for the way was barred to me.
好一会儿,被挡在门外进不去
Then, like all dreamers,
这时,我突然像所有的梦中人一样
I was possessed of a sudden with supernatural powers
不知从哪儿获得超自然的神力
and passed like a spirit through the barrier before me.
幽灵般飘过面前的障碍物
The drive wound away in front of me,
车道在我眼前伸展开去
Twisting and turning as it had always done.
蜿蜒曲折,依稀如旧
But as I advanced, I was aware that a change had come upon it.
但是待我向前走去,就察觉到车道已起了变化
Nature had come into her own again,
原来自然界已恢复了本来的面目
And little by little had encroached upon the drive with long, tenacious fingers.
渐渐把她细长的手指顽强而偷偷摸摸地伸到车道上来了
On and on would the poor thread that had once been our drive,
即使在过去,树林对车道来说,也始终是个威胁
And finally, there was Manderley.
终于到达了曼德利
Manderley, secretive and silent.
曼德利,还是和过去一样的隐僻,静谧
Time could nor mar the perfect symmetry of those walls.
时光的流逝,丝毫无损于围墙的完美对称
Moonlight can play odd tricks upon the fancy,
我看到那一泓银色的海水
and suddenly it seemed to me
犹如风平浪静时明镜般的湖面
that light came from the windows.
静静地任月光爱抚
And then a cloud came upon the moon
一朵乌云已经遮没了月亮
And hovered an instant like a dark hand before a face.
乌云有好一阵子徘徊不去,就像一只黑手遮住了脸庞
The illusion went with it.
顿时,幻觉消失了
I looked upon a desolate shell
我遥望远处孤零的小屋
with no whisper of the past about its staring walls.
闪闪的墙上未留下一丝岁月的痕迹
We can never go back to Manderley again.
曼德利不再为我们所有
That much is certain.
曼德利不复存在了
But sometimes in my dreams,
但有时在我的梦里
I do go back to the strange days of my life
我确实重回到我生命中奇怪的日子
which began for me in the South of France.
那是从在法国南部开始的